March 6, 1996
Rosie’s House is founded by Rosie Schurz in a 2-bedroom house in the Oakland neighborhood of Phoenix, AZ.
Renovations began at Rosie’s House permanent home.
Construction begins at Rosie’s House first permanent location at 919 E Jefferson St in the heart of downtown Phoenix. The new 15,000 square-foot faculty is fully customized for music learning, creation and performance.
First faculty and student “meet and greet” in Rosie’s House new permanent home.
Rosie House Grand Opening, featuring the unveiling of the Rosie’s House mural by Shela Yu.
Commissioned for the Grand Opening Event, Shela Yu’s mural is full of vibrant colors and movement. The mural features the music of “Rhapsody No. 1” for solo violin by the contemporary American composer Jessie Montgomery. Shela, a Chinese American multi-disciplinary artist born and raised in Mesa, AZ, hopes her mural will “encourage the viewer to look a little longer and become curious, perhaps becoming full of rhapsody at what they discover.”
- Winner of PBS Be More Awards for Community Arts Organization in May 2010
- Received City of Phoenix Hero Award from Neighborhood Services Department in April 2012
- Selected as the Phoenix Charity of Choice by Josh Groban in October 2013
- Awarded the National Society of Arts & Letters Advocacy Prize in February 2014
- Honored with the Arizona Governor’s Art Award, Arts Education in March 2014
- Presented with the Certificate of Excellence from the National Arts & Humanities Youth Program Award in June 2015
- Awarded Best Mariachis in Training by the Phoenix New Times in October 2016
- Honored with a City of Phoenix Proclamation for Community Value in May of 2018
Rosie’s House, located in the Central Arts District, collaborates with other non-profit organizations in our endeavor to change young lives through music education. Recent collaborations include working with:
- Arizona State University Gammage Cultural Participation Program
- Arizona Piano Institute
- Arizona Flute Society
- Arizona State University Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts
- Banner University Medical Center
- Central United Methodist Church – Classroom & Space Donation
- Musical Instrument Museum (MIM)
- Phoenix Chamber Music Society
- Phoenix Chorale
- UMOM New Day Center
Rosie’s House is a member of:
- Arizona Alliance for Non-Profits
- Arizona Citizens for the Arts
- Local First Arizona